First Impressions
Jambo! (hello)
I haven't been in Nairobi for even 24 hours but already I feel settled and comfortable, in large part due to my wonderful host, Sheila, who has graciously let me stay with her and her 1 year old daughter, Olivia, for the next while.
The flight here was long and uncomfortable and I was just anxious to arrive, not knowing what to expect whatsoever.
When I did arrive, after a few long waits at immigration and baggage, I was finally ready to exit the airport. To my delight, I didn't have to bribe the immigration officer and nothing was stolen from my luggage, contrary to warnings I'd been given.
So on that positive note, I stepped out into the open airport atrium and saw a man holding a sign reading, "Nadia K., Law Society of Kenya" - that's me! And he was Philip, the LSK driver, who was very kind, funny and friendly. He said "Karibu!" (welcome) and talked the whole way to Sheila's - about the LSK, about Kenyan sports, people, politicians - he said, "they promise us heaven but give us hell," and, "they're such good liars, they could sell you a stone," - which I found all very interesting.
I couldn't see much of the landscape on the way since it was nighttime, but we did pass through a roadblock where the officers were holding massive machine guns! And not just strapped over their shoulder, but in their hands with their fingers on the trigger! I gasped but Philip wasn't phased in the least.
When we arrived at Sheila's, I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice her place is, and it's within my budget! I was expecting more of the derelict, insect-ridden places I called home in Central America. But her place is wonderful - clean, safe (a full-time guard at the front gates), and I've got my own spacious bedroom and bathroom and she's got a great big kitchen, living room and balcony to relax in. I think I could easily call this home for a while.
Today I slept in, got a cellphone and got groceries - slowly settling in... Tomorrow I go to work, and I think they're quite eager to have me, they've already called twice.
So until my next update, kwehari! (goodbye)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home