Swallowed
I wonder if there is such thing as being overly-settled? To the point where I have neglected to send updates, check email or phone…
Nairobi has consumed me.
Well actually, there is a slight explanation that involves a now-crazy work schedule, sporadic internet and power, and an ever-expanding social life.
Since Kampala I have been on the go and am now beginning to feel absolute exhaustion after a hectic (but fun) few weeks. My eyelids are constantly heavy, and my once-brisk walk to work has slowed to a gradual pace. With that, the unusually long rains are dissipating and the Kenyan summer is finally beginning to show itself as I anxiously await the holidays and a break from my chaotic schedule.
In essence, my days lately have involved: Going to work – where I spend the day either at meetings at various locations, or in front of the computer trying to make progress on numerous assignments and projects. Twice a week, after work, I rush home to go to capoeira class for 3 hours in the evening – where I kill myself trying to do headstands (well, for now I’m just trying to get my head on the ground!) and avoid getting kicked in the face (which I failed to do on one memorable occasion). Other evenings I try to relax, take in a movie, go for a drink with a friend, or make a cozy dinner at home. Fridays are eventful and exciting and usually involve going straight from work to town or elsewhere, to meet people for drinks, a concert or some other glitzy event. [One thing I didn’t come prepared for is the fancy events I would be attending (or the big names I’d be meeting) – I’ve had to borrow a gown, shoes and handbag on more than one occasion] – but certainly can’t complain, every weekend has had its share of good wine, good food, and for the most part, good company.
As far as work goes – it’s been diverse, challenging and fulfilling to say the least (though at times, immensely frustrating … for reasons I shouldn’t disclose in this forum). Still, a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to spend a few days at a beautiful Naivasha resort for a government conference. There were about 50 participants, composed of the main stakeholders in a National Legal Aid Scheme. I was there on behalf of the LSK Secretariat, one of the leading stakeholders and players in the programme, and as such, was able to make presentations to the plenary and contribute to the debates in a way that made me one of the more vocal participants at the conference. I must say, I was proud to be amidst all the Kenyan judges, lawyers, politicians and academics that were there, and actually have my voice heard and listened to, in a meaningful way.
Another project that has been taking up some of my time has been my increasing involvement in Kibera – one of the biggest slums in Nairobi, in Kenya, and even in East Africa. (The film “The Constant Gardener” was filmed there , for those of you seeking a visual image). It started with me getting in contact with some people in a youth organisation, who live and work there. I explained my situation and my desire to help, and since then, have been liaising with the Programme Director, Fredrick – working towards drafting a comprehensive funding proposal and securing pro bono legal assistance from lawyers in Kenya. The latter was not too much of a problem after attending a cocktail hosted by the oldest law firm in Kenya, and convincing its lawyers to help out – which they gladly agreed to do. The funding proposal has been more of a challenge with my schedule, but we’re aiming to have something out in the New Year.
Yesterday, Atnas and I went to visit the slum and spent three hours walking through three of its 13 villages. It was a shocking and telling experience. Kibera is so tragic in its poverty but so beautiful at the same time. When we entered, it was as if we were entering a different world. One minute we were standing next to the former President Moi’s massive residence and one of the best golf courses in Kenya, and the next minute, we were in the middle of one of the poorest areas of Africa. We had crossed what they call “The Great Divide” – which is actually just a wooden fence that separates the rich from the poor. Though once you cross over, at the highest point, you can see all of Kibera before you – a sea of tin roof tops and small alley-ways with train tracks winding through and people everywhere. As we walked through the narrow streets, in between the shanty houses, and corrugated rooftops, ducking under clothes hanging on laundry lines, dodging chickens, stepping over and through garbage, puddles, potholes; passing make-shift shops, medical centres, pubs – dozens upon dozens of little children came running up to us, yelling “how are you? how are you?” in thick Kenyan accents, wanting to shake our hands and just somehow touch us. The people were friendly – smiling as we walked by, saying “habari?” and “karibu Kenya!” Their positive energy was remarkably juxtaposed against their trying circumstances. We were simply amazed.
It won’t be our last visit. Atnas will be going back this week to help coach the football (soccer) teams and work with the Youth Programme while I’m at work. I’ll be there again, in my free time, to work on the funding proposals. And we most certainly will be taking all of our visitors there – if only to learn, in a matter of seconds, just how lucky we are … and how phenomenal they are.
Finally, as implied, Atnas arrived here last week, which has only added a layer of excitement and colour to everything. I think the trip has already been transformative for him. When I picked him up at the airport, he was gleaming with excitement. We could hardly even get him into the cab, he was so in awe of his surroundings. Even better, we saw giraffes on the ride home – grazing in the Nairobi National Park surrounding the airport. Each day gets better and better for him as he settles into a routine and reminsces back to his own childhood in Mozambique.
So that’s been the last few weeks in a nutshell. And in only eleven days, Ali, Robyn and Lars will arrive for the holidays – with our first stop being the Masaai Mara – recently named the seventh wonder of the world … then the Coast … then, who knows?
Just letting Kenya consume me…
Nairobi has consumed me.
Well actually, there is a slight explanation that involves a now-crazy work schedule, sporadic internet and power, and an ever-expanding social life.
Since Kampala I have been on the go and am now beginning to feel absolute exhaustion after a hectic (but fun) few weeks. My eyelids are constantly heavy, and my once-brisk walk to work has slowed to a gradual pace. With that, the unusually long rains are dissipating and the Kenyan summer is finally beginning to show itself as I anxiously await the holidays and a break from my chaotic schedule.
In essence, my days lately have involved: Going to work – where I spend the day either at meetings at various locations, or in front of the computer trying to make progress on numerous assignments and projects. Twice a week, after work, I rush home to go to capoeira class for 3 hours in the evening – where I kill myself trying to do headstands (well, for now I’m just trying to get my head on the ground!) and avoid getting kicked in the face (which I failed to do on one memorable occasion). Other evenings I try to relax, take in a movie, go for a drink with a friend, or make a cozy dinner at home. Fridays are eventful and exciting and usually involve going straight from work to town or elsewhere, to meet people for drinks, a concert or some other glitzy event. [One thing I didn’t come prepared for is the fancy events I would be attending (or the big names I’d be meeting) – I’ve had to borrow a gown, shoes and handbag on more than one occasion] – but certainly can’t complain, every weekend has had its share of good wine, good food, and for the most part, good company.
As far as work goes – it’s been diverse, challenging and fulfilling to say the least (though at times, immensely frustrating … for reasons I shouldn’t disclose in this forum). Still, a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to spend a few days at a beautiful Naivasha resort for a government conference. There were about 50 participants, composed of the main stakeholders in a National Legal Aid Scheme. I was there on behalf of the LSK Secretariat, one of the leading stakeholders and players in the programme, and as such, was able to make presentations to the plenary and contribute to the debates in a way that made me one of the more vocal participants at the conference. I must say, I was proud to be amidst all the Kenyan judges, lawyers, politicians and academics that were there, and actually have my voice heard and listened to, in a meaningful way.
Another project that has been taking up some of my time has been my increasing involvement in Kibera – one of the biggest slums in Nairobi, in Kenya, and even in East Africa. (The film “The Constant Gardener” was filmed there , for those of you seeking a visual image). It started with me getting in contact with some people in a youth organisation, who live and work there. I explained my situation and my desire to help, and since then, have been liaising with the Programme Director, Fredrick – working towards drafting a comprehensive funding proposal and securing pro bono legal assistance from lawyers in Kenya. The latter was not too much of a problem after attending a cocktail hosted by the oldest law firm in Kenya, and convincing its lawyers to help out – which they gladly agreed to do. The funding proposal has been more of a challenge with my schedule, but we’re aiming to have something out in the New Year.
Yesterday, Atnas and I went to visit the slum and spent three hours walking through three of its 13 villages. It was a shocking and telling experience. Kibera is so tragic in its poverty but so beautiful at the same time. When we entered, it was as if we were entering a different world. One minute we were standing next to the former President Moi’s massive residence and one of the best golf courses in Kenya, and the next minute, we were in the middle of one of the poorest areas of Africa. We had crossed what they call “The Great Divide” – which is actually just a wooden fence that separates the rich from the poor. Though once you cross over, at the highest point, you can see all of Kibera before you – a sea of tin roof tops and small alley-ways with train tracks winding through and people everywhere. As we walked through the narrow streets, in between the shanty houses, and corrugated rooftops, ducking under clothes hanging on laundry lines, dodging chickens, stepping over and through garbage, puddles, potholes; passing make-shift shops, medical centres, pubs – dozens upon dozens of little children came running up to us, yelling “how are you? how are you?” in thick Kenyan accents, wanting to shake our hands and just somehow touch us. The people were friendly – smiling as we walked by, saying “habari?” and “karibu Kenya!” Their positive energy was remarkably juxtaposed against their trying circumstances. We were simply amazed.
It won’t be our last visit. Atnas will be going back this week to help coach the football (soccer) teams and work with the Youth Programme while I’m at work. I’ll be there again, in my free time, to work on the funding proposals. And we most certainly will be taking all of our visitors there – if only to learn, in a matter of seconds, just how lucky we are … and how phenomenal they are.
Finally, as implied, Atnas arrived here last week, which has only added a layer of excitement and colour to everything. I think the trip has already been transformative for him. When I picked him up at the airport, he was gleaming with excitement. We could hardly even get him into the cab, he was so in awe of his surroundings. Even better, we saw giraffes on the ride home – grazing in the Nairobi National Park surrounding the airport. Each day gets better and better for him as he settles into a routine and reminsces back to his own childhood in Mozambique.
So that’s been the last few weeks in a nutshell. And in only eleven days, Ali, Robyn and Lars will arrive for the holidays – with our first stop being the Masaai Mara – recently named the seventh wonder of the world … then the Coast … then, who knows?
Just letting Kenya consume me…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home