Resurrection
"How soon can you come?" - he asked, through a fuzzy connection and in between what I was sure were generous sips of Black Johnny Walker, "we need as much help as we can get..."
That was Professor Muigai of the University of Nairobi and the Chair of the Programme Commitee for the Commonwealth Law Conference.
And so here I am. On my way back to Nairobi. Currently, in London - spending a beautiful few days in the rare UK heat - before heading back to what is seemingly becoming my second home.
It really does seem like just yesterday I sat in this very chair, typing away my depressed thoughts of having just left. Then, I was dressed in layers, shivering from the shocking cold, and bitter. Now, there's hardly a breeze blowing through the drapes - instead, a musky, comforting heat that's preparing me for what I'm going back to. Instead of embitterment, I've got this undeserved and guilty excitement for what lies ahead.
4 months have passed. It's funny how so much and so little can happen in that time. Luca is a different person than he was 4 months ago. I guess that's what happens at that age. He's almost two now. He wakes me in the morning by laying all of his toys around me on the bed so I can't move. He laughs and giggles as I turn over onto his plastic red truck or his shiny white helicopter. When I saw him last he was hardly walking.
Luca has transformed but I'm certain I haven't. In fact, the time flew by and I feel like I've been standing still all along... Mostly because almost 3 months of it were spent studying for the intense (and by intense, I mean intensely annoying) bar exams, which I'm hoping, will never resurface on my agenda. Although I really shouldn't complain - while most of my friends were pulling 12 hour days in their stuffy law firm offices, I was spending my afternoons on the beach, on swings, on my bike - outside... actually loving Vancouver more than I expected I would.
But I still felt stagnant. And monotonous. I guess that's partly why I'm going back. Partly that, and partly the fact that I can help, experience, see, meet, explore more.
Why not?
That was Professor Muigai of the University of Nairobi and the Chair of the Programme Commitee for the Commonwealth Law Conference.
And so here I am. On my way back to Nairobi. Currently, in London - spending a beautiful few days in the rare UK heat - before heading back to what is seemingly becoming my second home.
It really does seem like just yesterday I sat in this very chair, typing away my depressed thoughts of having just left. Then, I was dressed in layers, shivering from the shocking cold, and bitter. Now, there's hardly a breeze blowing through the drapes - instead, a musky, comforting heat that's preparing me for what I'm going back to. Instead of embitterment, I've got this undeserved and guilty excitement for what lies ahead.
4 months have passed. It's funny how so much and so little can happen in that time. Luca is a different person than he was 4 months ago. I guess that's what happens at that age. He's almost two now. He wakes me in the morning by laying all of his toys around me on the bed so I can't move. He laughs and giggles as I turn over onto his plastic red truck or his shiny white helicopter. When I saw him last he was hardly walking.
Luca has transformed but I'm certain I haven't. In fact, the time flew by and I feel like I've been standing still all along... Mostly because almost 3 months of it were spent studying for the intense (and by intense, I mean intensely annoying) bar exams, which I'm hoping, will never resurface on my agenda. Although I really shouldn't complain - while most of my friends were pulling 12 hour days in their stuffy law firm offices, I was spending my afternoons on the beach, on swings, on my bike - outside... actually loving Vancouver more than I expected I would.
But I still felt stagnant. And monotonous. I guess that's partly why I'm going back. Partly that, and partly the fact that I can help, experience, see, meet, explore more.
Why not?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home