Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hellos and Goodbyes

I never get used to it. Saying goodbye that is.

On my second trip to Kenya, I cried for two days before leaving. I guess it was because I didn't know when I would ever be coming back to what had become my second home. I suppose there were also other reasons and circumstances that made leaving that much harder. But there always is.

This time around, leaving Vancouver for Asia, and for a seemingly indefinite period, has involved fewer tears, but certainly a heavy sadness that comes with the realization of quickly passing time, quickly changing lives and the fleeting certainty of the circumstances that surround us. The reality that things will never be the same as they are at this very moment in my life. People and things change, and a lot can happen in a year. I sometimes wonder whether I should be leaving...

And yet, en route to my final destination, the goodbyes have been interspersed with pleasant hellos and again, more goodbyes.

Leaving Vancouver - goodbye Mama, Abbu, Ali, Aamir, my dear and loving friends, my cozy bed, and home-cooked meals. 

Mmmm, home cooked meals.

Arriving Ottawa - hello Amna, Ross, Benny. Late night talks, lots of wine, relaxation. 

And goodbye again.

Arriving London - hello Rabia, Pascal, Luca and Sophie (for the first time!). Walks in the park, more late night conversations, lots of kisses from Luca, catching up with old friends. 

And goodbye again.

Finally to arrive in Singapore - which I anticipate will involve many hellos with many different people, and the onset of a chaotic year full of classes, readings, papers, exams and stress. But also and hopefully at the very least - sunshine, adventure, travel, experience, tropical bliss and perhaps some cultural enlightenment.

Still, all as yet, the unknown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home